West Texas Project
This page is designed to keep Baytown residents informed about progress and developments that are coming to West Texas Avenue and W. Defee Avenue between N. Whiting Street and N. Jones. This project will improve storm water drainage in the area and provide an updated aesthetic to the neighborhood and commercial areas.
Why Is This Project Needed: This is a residential and commercial area that experiences flooding during storm events and has been identified as a critical area for storm sewer system improvements to prevent future private property damage. This project will help facilitate the movement of storm water from local streets and neighborhoods to Goose Creek.
How Long Will the Project Take: Construction is estimated to be complete in October of 2024.
What Will Improve?
- New Underground drainage system along West Texas Avenue including new inlets
- New underground drainage system, including new inlets along North Pruett and North Jones Streets
- New underground drainage system, including new inlets along West Defee Avenue from North Whiting Street to North Jones Street, which will improve the drainage along the west end of West Defee Avenue
- Pavement, curb and gutter, and sidewalk reconstruction on all streets receiving drainage improvements
- Lighting, street furniture, and streetscape improvements such as pavers and landscaping on Texas Ave.
- Water and sewer adjustments as required
July Open House
Join the City of Baytown for an open house to view design plans, ask questions, and learn more about the upcoming W. Texas Avenue Drainage Improvements Project. This project is a joint venture by the City of Baytown, the Harris County Flood Control District, and CDBG (GLO) officials.
Open House at Sterling Municipal Library, 1 Mary Wilbanks Avenue, on July 18, 2023 at 5 pm.