Deferred Disposition

If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible for a deferred disposition and have your violation dismissed. You may request a deferred disposition in person or in writing to dismiss the charge. However, you will lose that right if you do not request deferred disposition at the court on or before your initial appearance date.


Deferred disposition may not be granted because of the nature of the charge against you, or your criminal history.  All requests that are denied may be set for a court appearance so that you may discuss your specific situation with the judge.

You may choose to request Deferred Disposition to keep a moving traffic violation from appearing on your driving record. Deferred Disposition is similar to probation. Requests for Deferred Disposition on non-traffic violations must be requested before the Judge. 

  • You must pay a special expense fee totaling to the amount of your fine plus $50.
  • The length of the deferral period typically 90 to 180 days. 
  • Deferred Disposition for a moving traffic violation for any individual under the age of 25 years must include a Driving Safety Course. The certificate must be returned to the court by the defendant no later than 90 days following the initial date of the Deferred Disposition term.
  • Deferred Disposition paperwork is unable to be processed for a juvenile unless granted in open court with a parent or legal guardian present.
  • In the event the defendant violates the terms of the Deferred Disposition, the defendant will be set for a show cause hearing.
  • If the defendant complies with the terms of the Deferred Disposition, an order to dismiss will be executed by the Judge. 
  • If the defendant fails to comply with the terms of the Deferred Disposition, the Judge may find you “guilty” which may result in a conviction being reported to your driving record.